Content
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MINUTES
Present: Gorman, Gruverman, James, Leiter, Lewis, Pierobon, Reddi, Reimer, Robison, Shrader, Timmerman, Tschetter
Absent: Baesu
Guests: AVC Volkmer, AVC Zavala
Date: Tuesday, October 13, 2026
Location: 201 Canfield Administration
Note: These are not verbatim minutes. They are a summary of the discussions at the Executive Committee meeting as corrected by those participating.
______________________________________________________________________
- Call (Leiter)
Leiter called the meeting to order at 2:37 p.m.
2.0 Interim Chancellor Ankerson/EVC Button/VC Heng-Moss
2.1 Presentation of Updated and Revised Program Indicators (AVC Volkmer and AVC Zavala)
EVC Button stated that the presentation was to share where the program indicators stand for today and to get the Executive Committee’s feedback on them. He wanted to thank AVC Volkmer and AVC Zavala for their work in developing the revised instructional and research indicators.
EVC Button pointed out that the Data Integrity and Stewardship website provides information about how the data will be used, what the shared definitions are, promotes transparency and consistency, provides documentation and guidance, outlines the data ecosystem, and provides an FAQ section. He noted that this is an ongoing effort to ensure we have clarity about the data we utilize throughout the year and how it helps to drive our strategy. He stated that the conversation today is to assess whether these are the right indicators, whether there are indicators that are missing, and to get feedback.
AVC Volkmer reported that discussions were held with all the colleges and their leadership teams this summer to see how we could better improve the process of developing the program indicators and to provide transparency and clarity for them. He stated that the program indicators reporting will be provided through Tableau which should facilitate broader distribution, managed distribution, and transparency. He pointed out that across the colleges and units; there was the shared belief that data was needed to help provide benchmarks, set strategies, and to measure our successes and performance but that it should be transparent. He noted that there was understanding of how the indicators could be used but the colleges and units stated that they did not want comparisons between them and other units. He reported that based on the feedback received, the Z scores have been deemphasized, and instead more raw data is being looked at.
AVC Volkmer stated that these standard indicators do not fully capture the mission for the fine and performing arts, architecture, journalism, and law, so the question becomes how we capture the data for these colleges. He stated that they are working with research to understand how we can incorporate qualitative narratives to contextualize some of the data.
Leiter asked for a definition of the Z score. Gorman pointed out that it is the number of standard deviations from the mean. Leiter suggested that the data from the colleges just mentioned might need a separate Z score because the collection of their data is not captured well. Pierobon asked if other universities have the same problem with capturing data for the areas mentioned. AVC Zavala stated that it is a challenge for universities and no one has solved the problem, especially for the fine arts. She stated that we collect data every year, although we do it earlier than other universities, and she pointed out that she and AVC Volkmer are working with the Associate Deans for Research to put a better strategy in place that doesn’t require faculty to constantly be self-reporting their creative activities. Pierobon noted that it would be a great research project for someone to figure out how the qualitative data can be more easily captured.
EVC Button stated that part of the feedback gained from the APC in May 2025 involved utilizing a pooled analysis, so comparisons were only across units within similar configurations of disciplines. He noted that for all its perceived flaws, Academic Analytics at least compares similar units rather than across diverse disciplines. Reimer pointed out that even the Glenn Korff School of Music executive committee was talking about the very problem being discussed here because even within their unit there are composers, performers, educators and theorists so it is difficult to find equitable measures of their creative activity and work.
Leiter asked if the indicators will be adjusted and evolved over time. EVC Button stated yes and noted that there needs to be a governance committee to educate and refine the program indicators over time. AVC Volkmer noted that there are some things that do not reconcile with the data we collect. For instance, some dean’s offices have an academic program or an interdisciplinary program which do not fit within a department. He pointed out that we will probably be wrestling with these data structure issues for a while. He stated that as we get a better understanding of our data, we will be able to make changes that will make reporting processes better.
AVC Volkmer stated that Tableau’s reporting infrastructure better supports the campus needs. It can provide transparency, managed distribution, automaton and standardization, secure delivery, and data interaction and visualization. He stated that Tableau’s reporting scope emphasizes instructional and research data benchmarks and supports reporting. He noted that comparative Z-scores, while still available, have been significantly deemphasized. Gorman stated that he understands that Tableau has some different versions. AVC Volkmer stated that we are on the server version, but the cloud version has more AI functionality but noted that we may be moving to the cloud version.
AVC Volkmer reported that Tableau is just a reporting and analytics program, it does not store data, it must be directed to the data, and you tell it what data you want to view and he pointed out that it is very interactive. He stated that the data comes from PeopleSoft, Salesforce, SAP, Canvas, NURamp, Academic Analytics and the user can see the data and filter it for whatever information they are looking for. He noted that much information is available in the FAQ in order to help the DEOs when they are using Tableau. He pointed out that the data in Tableau is all validated.
AVC Volkmer showed an actual Tableau report and pointed out that you can even see what changes have occurred since the last time you were looking at a report. He stated that currently the idea is to have updates done once a year in late January but acknowledged that some updates might need to be done more often.
Gorman asked if longitudinal data was available and if so, could the data from pre-pandemic be available. AVC Volkmer stated that for now we have data for the past five years. AVC Zavala stated that we could get data from 12 years ago if needed.
Pierobon asked where the web pages are hosted. AVC Volkmer stated that they are server based. Pierobon asked if all faculty would have access to the data. AVC Volkmer stated that at this time it is available to the deans’ offices, the Senate Executive Committee, and tomorrow the APC. James asked who would have access in the future. EVC Button stated that right now they are looking for feedback on the program indicators from the Executive Committee and tomorrow from the APC. He stated that every DEO on campus would have access and training would be provided to them and the expectation is that the DEOs would be tracking the data for their unit and communicating the outcomes with their units, but the intent at this time is to stop at the DEO level.
Griffin asked if the website was available for everyone to view. AVC Volkmer stated that it is available for everyone. He noted that the intention is to probably expand the website over time as we get better at data governance campus wide. He stated that currently there are general terms defined on the website but that he anticipates that more data definitions will be added. He stated that questions can be submitted through the FAQ page and as these questions are answered, it will help build out the FAQ page.
AVC Volkmer reported that workstreams currently in progress across the campus to improve data utilization and value include looking at creative activities, qualitative feedback processes, outcomes survey, ongoing website development, and ongoing support reports. He noted that it will be a Qualtrics survey asking DEOs to provide contextual information, and qualitative information about just their department in general. He stated that contextual information about their structural sort of data and contextual data about their research data will also be requested. He stated that the data would be in a separate warehouse where there will probably be another supporting report, as well as in Tableau.
Gorman noted that people have the perception that they can only correct some of the data within a 4 - 6 week timeframe. AVC Volkmer stated that the intention was to do this every year for 4-6 weeks but asked if it needed to be a longer period of time. AVC Zavala pointed out that correcting the data is different than contextualizing the data.
Gorman asked how service was going to be measured. EVC Button stated that many things have not been captured yet and this is where qualitative input comes in. He noted that Extension and leadership are two examples that need to be considered. James pointed out that we are a land-grant university yet nowhere has she seen outreach and service mentioned in these indicators. EVC Button stated that this should be part of the qualitative input and this could be made more visible, but if you want to assess every unit by the same consistent standard for service and engagement, we are going to need some creative, thoughtful thinking about how to do this because it varies widely. VC Heng-Moss notes that Z scores for Extension would compare only units with Extension appointments, which is a concern. She added that outreach and engagement are happening across UNL, so how we recognize these efforts remains an important question.
James asked if the program indicators are a program that will be used across the university system. AVC Volkmer stated that to his knowledge it is only for UNL. EVC Button pointed out that UNO has a contract with someone to do something similar, but we have the talent to do this work in house. James noted that she could see this information as being helpful to explain the university to stakeholders and asked if there would be more public use of the data. AVC Volkmer stated that at this point it is just for UNL internal use. VC Heng-Moss pointed out that performance indicators should be used by units to assess progress, whereas, the economic analysis Tripp-Umbach has conducted for the university is important to share with state senators and stakeholders. with advocacy to state decision makers, we want to present the analysis that has been done by external evaluators which shows our return on the state’s investment to the university. Interim Chancellor Ankerson pointed out that some of the information is mission-based and each of our campuses has a very different mission from each other. As a result, the numbers would look very different from each other to those who may not know the different missions of the campuses.
EVC Button stated that he is going to bring the idea of the governance of the program indicators to the APC and suggested that perhaps a subcommittee of the APC could critically assess the indicators to make sure we are capturing things correctly and that the indicators are in close alignment with our strategic plans. He suggested a diverse faculty and administrative group could serve as the governing committee, and he anticipates that there will be requests from time to time to make changes and additions.
2.2 Who is covering the costs of concerts taking place at Memorial stadium?
Interim Chancellor Ankerson reported that Athletics covers the cost of having concerts in the stadium and Parking and Transit Services gets compensated for a certain amount for each space that is utilized. Leiter asked who covers the cost of security and does UNL get a share of the revenue that is generated from these events. Interim Chancellor Ankerson stated that the entertainers cover the cost of their own security and the compensation that UNL receives is for parking.
Shrader asked if Athletics checks with her first before making these plans to have events in the stadium. Interim Chancellor Ankerson stated that in terms of logistics, when events are held at the Devaney Center, Athletics works with Nebraska Innovation Campus about parking. She stated that in terms of the dates of events, the Chancellor’s Council is a broader group that has an Athletics representative on the Council. She noted that this Council meets monthly and there is a shared calendar that allows us to see what is being planned on campus so that the Council can work together to see if there could be any potential problems. She noted that each Council member submits an information brief as a pre-read to not only the Chancellor’s Council monthly meetings, but as well to the Chancellor’s Expanded Council Quarterly meetings, so the meetings focus on areas of potential synergy and those of potential conflict. Shrader stated that it would be nice if Athletics would ask permission. Interim Chancellor Ankerson stated that our relationship is being worked on and pointed out that there are a number of different leaders around the Council’s table that provide input on the calendar and give updates. She reported that this was something that just started this year in January and it helps to increase the level of awareness and communication. She noted that there are many different things happening on campus in a variety of ways where UNL and Athletics are cooperating.
Tschetter stated that the frustration between Athletics and the campus is getting worse because there is a feeling from many on campus that Athletics has become very separate and independent of the campus. She stated that getting Athletics back under the control of the Chancellor is critical. Leiter stated that Athletics should at least be accountable to the Chancellor. Interim Chancellor Ankerson stated that she believes that we are making inroads with Athletics being more collaborative and there is better coordination.
Shrader reported that he has heard from several people already that when they re-ticket for football games Athletics is going to start forcing the faculty and staff to pay license fees. Interim Chancellor Ankerson stated that the way she understands it is that there will be sections that are available to people who will not have to pay the donation and then there will be sections that are available for people who will pay the donation. Shrader pointed out that the reduced cost of football tickets is a benefit to the faculty and staff of the university and if they start taking that benefit away, the administration will more than likely hear about it from a lot of angry people. He noted that people were furious with the new cost of volleyball tickets and the same will occur with the football tickets. Interim Chancellor Ankerson reported that the administration has proactively made these arguments already.
2.3 Open Discussion
Interim Chancellor Ankerson reported that a lot of her work over the past month has been building communications and moving us forward in other areas. She noted that since her August 23 welcome message to the campus, she started the first of what will be regular communications to the faculty and staff with the first email sent on September 21 and October 6 being the second communications. She stated that she heard the message from the campus that they want regular communication and she will be sending messages out periodically. She pointed out that her first message had an 84% open rate and data is still being received on the second message, but it is somewhere in the upper 70’s.
Interim Chancellor Ankerson stated that she wanted to focus on areas that relate to either building relationships or fostering relationships whether they are on campus with faculty, staff, and students, or between the campuses, or it could be with donor relationships, or with funding partners, and with alumni.
Interim Chancellor Ankerson reported that we’ve recently been able to celebrate the beam raising for the Lied Center which is a $35 million philanthropic renovation project. She stated that recently there was the Mesonet ribbon cutting ceremony which was widely attended by numerous dignitaries and supporters. There has also been the Westbrook Music Building grand opening and ribbon cutting which was largely funded by LB384 deferred maintenance dollars. She stated that the other events included the flag planting in Meiers Commons on 9/11 and the opening of the new Meier studio in the College of Journalism and Mass Communications. She reported that we also hosted members of the CCPE at the Cather Dining Center noting that the location was specifically selected so the CCPE members could have the opportunity to see the students coming and going and to have the opportunity to be really engaged in what the energy looks like at UNL.
Interim Chancellor Ankerson reported that 14 women from the UNL campus were nominated for the Inspire Award with Coach Rhonda Revelle winning the athletics award. She pointed out that the Louise Pound statue was unveiled with a well-attended ceremony and there have been a number of events, including the Inspire Awards where Mayor Gaylor Baird talked about the statute. She stated that we recently had 40 years of the University Honors Program celebrated, and there were a Nebraska Alumni Association Volunteers and Leaders Summit, and she gave remarks at each.
Interim Chancellor Ankerson stated that she gave remarks to student leaders at the RSO Leadership Summit, the Hoagland Lecture, Lincoln Rotary, and at the Foundation Board of Directors meeting. She pointed out that we recently hosted President Pavel of the Czech Republic and his staff, including members from Czech University. She noted that they are interested in furthering exchange and research programs with us and we have already heard from some of them that they want to begin working with us very soon. She reported that we recently hosted our university system federal relations team, they meet quarterly at each of the campuses so they can see the research conducted which will enable them to advocate for us. She noted that for Homecoming there was a pre-game tailgate which was attended by approximately 550 people and she had Coach Amy Williams speak. In addition, the people heard about academic highlights and research accomplishments from Interim Chancellor Ankerson.
Interim Chancellor Ankerson reported that the Research and Innovation Showcase and Lightning Round Talks were held and this allowed industry and community partners to get an inside tour and view of things across UNL and at Innovation Campus. She reported that the NSRI showcase was held with a visit from our federal delegation members and Admiral Correll who looked at a variety of our research areas. She described a follow-up session with Admiral Correll and selected researchers and stated that the Admiral took several notes and there has been follow up with many of these research partners. She noted that for IANR there was a distinguished faculty celebration. She stated that she is a member of the board of directors and frequently is in attendance of the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce. She noted that over the past year, for the first time the Nebraska Chamber of Commerce, Omaha Chamber of Commerce, and the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce are working together towards the future of Nebraska and pointed out that we need to be present in these discussions as they talk about many areas that affect Nebraska’s future including agriculture, bioeconomy, and what rural communities need for rural vitality. She noted members of our Executive Leadership Team, usually to or three of them, are in attendance.
Interim Chancellor Ankerson stated that she hosted the annual employee service awards which is always fun and she, along with Chancellor Davies hosted the first UNL/UNMC joint summit in Ashland noting that there will likely be another one in the future. She stated that we recently hosted the Johnny Carson Foundation, and the HLC team came to campus for a site visit. She gave kudos to EVC Button and his office for preparing and hosting the HLC team, noting that it was a very condensed process to prepare for. She stated that there was also the fall leadership team this morning which was attended by approximately 150 UNL and shared governance leaders.
Interim Chancellor Ankerson stated that in addition she has been focusing on meeting with the current senators and those running for office. During these meetings she makes a point to highlight that UNL brings in approximately 1100 new Nebraskans and 43% of these people remain in Nebraska after they graduate. She stated that prospective senators have been given a tour of the campus by Director of Government Relations Jessie Herrmann. She pointed out that the tour not only highlights some of our new spectacular spaces, but they also go to a rooftop to see where the campus needs maintenance. She noted that many of these discussions focus on things that are happening on campus and the research that our faculty do, including our relationship with STRATCOM.
She pointed out that all of this building of relationships is an effort to help people understand the university and to see its value and impact.
Leiter asked if it would be possible to host an opening of the state senators when the legislative session begins so we can give them the tour. Interim Chancellor Ankerson reported that offers have been made to the state senators, and some have accepted the invitation. VC Heng-Moss stated that IANR usually hosts an annual legislative dinner during which highlights are given about the important and impactful work happening across IANR. She noted that the Ag Builders of Nebraska have their annual meeting in January, which is strategically during the start of the legislative session, and they host a reception that the leadership of UNL are invited to attend. She stated that the Nebraska Farm Bureau hosts a breakfast once a month during the legislative session and both Professors James and Todd distributed flowers to senators. These events provide opportunities to elevate the importance of the university to the state.
Interim Chancellor Ankerson noted that there is a whole team of people working to show the positivity of UNL whether it is sitting on various boards, attending meetings, or visiting with legislators. She noted that the more people outside of the university that we have relationships with, the more influence we have.
3.0 Announcements
3.1 Upcoming Executive Committee meetings
Griffin reported that the Executive Committee would be meeting with APC Chair Jeff Bradshaw, followed by AVC Marks on October 20. Then, on October 27, the Committee will meet with Professor Santosh Pitla and Jude Fogarty of the AI Institute. On November 17 the Committee will meet with Chief of Communication and Marketing Officer Scott Silversten.
4.0 Approval of September 29, 2026 Minutes
Reimer suggested a couple of minor corrections. Shrader then moved for approval of the minutes, Reimer seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by the Executive Committee.
5.0 Unfinished Business
5.1 Governance Committee for the Program Indicators
The Executive Committee discussed the proposed governance committee for the program indicators and felt that there needed to be Faculty Senate representation on it. The Committee raised concern of what would happen should a chair of a department not look at the department’s program indicators, or not share the data with the faculty in their department.
6.0 New Business
6.1 Report on Meeting with Scott Silversten, Chief Communication and Marketing Officer
Reimer reported that she met with Silversten to talk about the idea of creating short videos highlighting the work that faculty do. She noted that he is very interested and would like to find faculty members whose work could be highlighted. Shrader suggested that narratives of faculty members could be created. Reimer stated that anyone with suggestions of faculty members who could be highlighted should send her an email.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:56 p.m. The next meeting of the Executive Committee will be on Tuesday, October 20, 2026, at 2:30 pm. The minutes are respectfully submitted by Karen Griffin, Coordinator and Ann Tschetter, Secretary.